BRUSSELS

It's been quite an intense month between travels, gigs and future planning. The highlights of this busy period were definitely my trips to Brussels and New York. I had never been to Brussels before and what a better occasion than playing some music. I got invited by my compatriot and old school mate Nicola Lancerotti - now a jazz bass player and a Belgian resident - who I hadn't seen in years. Among the venues we played at I especially enjoyed Sounds Jazz, owned by an Italian jazz connoisseur, Sergio, and by far one of the oldest and most atmospheric clubs in Brussels. The quartet, named for the occasion "Remember Frank?" included - besides me and Nicola - two other great musicians, pianist Augusto Pirodda (who recently recorded with Paul Motian and Gary Peacock) and multi-reeds player Jordi Grognard.

 
Besides music I also got to enjoy the beautiful architecture of the city, especially those "art nouveau" buildings that are designed with such grace and fantasy. The main artist in such architecture in Belgium was Victor Horta whose many buildings are viewable throughout the city.


Other musicians I got to meet and hang out with were piano player Giovanni Di Domenico who, along with his partner Pakyan Lau, formed a in interesting minimalistic music band called "The Crappy Mini Band" touring mostly in Europe and Japan, great Portuguese drummer Joao Lobo, Italian saxophonist Daniele Martini and bass player Manolo Cabras. Brussels is also the city of Eurocracy with a lot of non-profit organizations in all kind of fields with a lot of young employees from all over the world some of whom I had the pleasure to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment